CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 8, 2007

Lions, Tigers, and Bears . . .

Because the weather was so nice today (the high was 85) I decided to take Mason and Jordan to the Tulsa Zoo. Jordan's been several times, but this was Mason's first trip, and I think he had a pretty good time. He was in a great mood all day - even before we got there he was "singing" along to the Gorillaz in the car - Ahahahahahahaa! Anyway, when we got the zoo it was totally crowded; there were several day camps of kiddos running amock but we managed.


Because it was so sunny, Mason spent a good part of the day confined to the shade of his stroller but he made the best of it with his toys, and I got him out as much as possible in the shady areas. Our first stop was the new Elephant Encounter exhibit. We got to see Sneezy, the zoo's 35-year-old male Asian elephant. He came right up to us, but we heeded the Zookeeper's warnings (see the note below - it was the etc. that concerned me most!)!


Next we stopped by the giraffe exhibit, but Mason was much more interested in his own giraffe than the live ones.

Later in the day we went to the sea lion demonstration - I really thought Mason would get a kick out of it, but he could have cared less. He was much more enthralled with the squawking flamingoes behind us. He was getting so excited watching them. He kept flailing his arms and laughing - wish I could have caught that on tape!

We saw many animals, but my personal favorite was the last exhibit. The zoo has a new baby chimp named Vindi; she's only 3 months old. I tried to get some pics of her with her mother but I kept getting the glare from the glass of their enclosure. They were so sweet nestled up together, and the mother had a sense of serenity on her face as she pet her baby girl. I wonder if she has to get up in the middle of night to nurse her babe!
Overall, I think we had a great first trip to the zoo - no catastrophic meltdowns this time! I can't wait for the many more firsts he's gonna experience.

0 comments: