CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 5, 2009

Whose kid is this?

Terrible twos - oh I won't have to worry about that - not with Mason anyway, he's so laid back. Boy was I WRONG! He is very much into asserting some authority these days, and on more days that not I am emotionally and physically drained!! I know what I'm supposed to do - I did get paid to teach people how to parent at one time. I'm finding out just how clueless I really was. So I'm trying my best to give him more age appropriate power - milk or juice, red shirt or blue shirt, spiderman or batman pjs, etc. etc. etc. Once he sets his mind to something he is like a wild mustang that can't be broken. It's like a switch went off when he turned two. It really began at Christmas when he began proclaiming, "Mine" or "Mas'." He has come to the conclusion that every toy in the house is his, and doesn't really like sharing with this brother yet. He'll take toys from Ian just to take them - he'll have no intention of playing with them. He'll just take them and throw them (something else he never used to do).

The other day we loaded up as a family and drove to Bellville to pick up the deer that Drew had processed at Bellville Meat Market. On the way we passed a drive-in theater that actually still shows new releases so we decided to check it out. It's called The Showboat Drive In Theater and it's in Hockley off of FM 2920. We took the deer meat back home, and changed the boys into their pjs, and headed over to see Marley and Me. Yeah, we have a way to see the movies without having to stress about a sitter - or so I thought.

Mason was HORRIBLE! He screamed the entire time. He wanted to drive (sit in Drew's lap and play with the steering wheel) that was fine, but then he wanted to play with the windshield wipers and headlights. Not cool! We had packed some toys for him to play with and had folded down the back seats of the Expedition so that he had a play area, but it was too dark for him to play back there. And the dome light was too bright to turn on - it would have bothered those around us. Of course, we have flashlights that would've been perfect for him, but they were all at home. At one point, Drew even tried to take him for a walk but that didn't help either. I could hear them as they got closer to the vehicle. I must admit that he hadn't had a nap earlier that day since we had been out and about, and that was probably the root of the problem. We haven't completely given up hope of enjoying a movie at the drive-in, but next time we will be much better prepared! And in the meantime, I will continue to pray that my sweet baby boy's disposition returns!


At Grammy's house on Christmas Eve - sporting the fairy wand and Mickey cap.

1 comments:

Angela

I have loved reading your new blogs. You are so good at writing about the boys!

I cracked up again at the penguin story...Mason, Mason, Mason.

I wish I could see him and his toddler tantrum glory!

Love you guys!